Monday 29 July 2013

My "Football" Kick


Most newspapers throughout the world contain a sports section. In the United States, the majority of stories that are sports related involve football, basketball and baseball. This makes total sense because these are the top 3 sports in the US right now. However, for soccer fans such as myself, having no dedicated section for just soccer news is a huge bummer.  I want to know the latest transfer rumors in the UK, the results from Manchester United game and which coach got sacked this week. Luckily for me, I am in the UK and soccer or football as they say here, is everywhere. Just flip to the back of most of the newspapers based in London and you’ll find stories about the recent saga of the European transfer market. Now I can finally feed my soccer addiction with print!

Soccer players in the UK are treated like A-list celebrities. Many kids dream about becoming professional “football” players and consider the ones on the pitch as heroes or idols to look up to. These professionals impact the community and know how valuable it means to be playing for their city or region. The tabloids in particular pay close attention to the behaviors of players off the pitch in order to see if they can come up with a juicy story. When the news broke about John Terry’s affair with former teammate Wayne Bridge’s wife, the media had a heyday.

In London alone, there are four soccer clubs, which are Arsenal (North London), Chelsea (South London), Tottenham (East London) and West Ham (West London). The rivalry amongst these teams is intense, especially during game day. This huge fan base for soccer can be seen not just in the media, but also at parks and shops. For the past three times I was on my way to Primrose Hill, I’ve seen many people kicking a soccer ball around. The Camden Market even had many original soccer balls that were used back in the early 1990’s on sale. It’s a city that loves football and that makes me love this place even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment